Home remedies for common cold and flu
We stock our signature cold & Flu capsules, a must for every family’s first aid cupboard.
Take 4 capsules every two hours with the first hint of a sore throat, sniffle, general body aches and mild chills or fever. Repeat up to 4-6 times, cease once symptoms have resolved. If symptoms persist call the clinic on (03) 9596 5663 for further advice.
In the event you are caught short the following methods should also help prevent your symptoms from becoming more serious.
Bring 4 cups of water to the boil in a small saucepan, add a small packet of rice noddles and cook for 1 minute.
Add 25g spring onions, use the white stalk only, no green bits and 25g of fresh ginger, mix thoroughly and serve.
To make a tasty soup you can add 4 tablespoons of miso (soybean paste), diced tofu, prawns or chicken pieces or wakame seaweed to step 1.
You don’t need to be sick to enjoy this delicious warming change of season soup. It can be made into a regular lunchtime meal especially in the cooler months by reducing the amount of ginger and spring onions.
This strategy is ideal to use when you notice the first signs of body aches and pains especially around your upper back and neck region or with the early rumblings of a sore throat.
- Coarsely chop 3 inches of fresh ginger root.
- Bruise ginger with the end of the knife to release the volatile oils.
- Place ginger pieces into a tea towel and close ends with a rubber band.
- Place poultice over the bath tap and run a warm bath.
- When bath is full add ginger poultice to the bath water and jump in.
- Stay in the bath until you begin to sweat.
- Get out of bath and wrap yourself up in pyjamas and bed clothes.
- You will more than likely continue to sweat.
- Stay in bed for the remainder of the night.
- You will need to replace body fluids that have been lost as a result of sweating so remember to have a glass of water by the bed.